I do talks, brewing courses, brewing demonstrations, and beer tastings. In July 2019 I’ll be touring Oregon and Washington and that means several Nordic farmhouse beer and Viking-themed events in Seattle and Portland!
In Oregon and Washington I’ll be performing at museums, pubs, and breweries with beer writer Jereme Zimmerman, the author of Make Mead Like a Viking and Brew Beer Like a Yeti.
Here’s a short overview of our tour:
- July 18, 2019, Seattle, Washington: Brewing Traditional Nordic Farmhouse Beers discussion at the Nordic Museum. The event is for both brewers and people interested in the Nordic culture. No brewing experience required.
- July 23, 2019, Portland, Oregon: Brew Like a Viking Workshop at Base Camp Brewing Company. For home and craft brewers, hosted by F.H. Steinbart.
- July 24–27, Portland, Oregon: Oregon Brewers Festival. We are not performing at the festival but if you see Vikings in brown-grey tunics, that’s probably me and Jereme. Come and say Skål! and Kippis! to us.
- July 27, 2019, Portland, Oregon: Ale Apothecary Sahti Tasting at Belmont Station Biercafé. In this launch party you’ll get to taste an authentic taste of sahti farmhouse freshly brewed at the Ale Apothecary in Bend, OR in collaboration with me and Jereme. While you are savoring the ale, we’ll give you an introduction to these kinds of ancient yet alive Nordic farmhouse beer traditions.
- August 1, 2019, Seattle, Washington: What the Vikings Drank. We will give an entertaining beer and mead infused talk at Skål Beer Hall.
For more details, see the events below, and check back here for updates!
Seattle: Brewing Traditional Nordic Farmhouse Beers
Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 6–8 PM
Nordic Museum, Seattle, Washington
Join Mika Laitinen, author of Viking Age Brew, and Jereme Zimmerman, author of Make Mead Like a Viking and Brew Beer Like a Yeti for a discussion on the history, tradition, and technique of brewing Nordic ales. The authors will each discuss their individual approach to researching and experimenting with Nordic farmhouse brewing. Additionally, they will provide an overview of beer history and beer styles in the Nordic regions and their methods for researching the information in their books. A Q&A session for brewers and non-brewers alike will follow.
Portland: Brew Like a Viking!
Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 7–9 PM
Base Camp Brewing, Portland, Oregon
Learn to brew Sahti and other Nordic Farmhouse ales with traditional ingredients and techniques. You’ll also hear why these kinds of traditional ales offer a fascinating view of brewing in the Middle Ages and the Viking Age. The event is Hosted by F.H. Steinbart.
For details, see the Facebook event.
Portland: Ale Apothecary Sahti Tasting
Saturday, July 27, 2019, at 1–4 PM
Belmont Station, Portland, Oregon
Join beer writers Mika Laitinen and Jereme Zimmerman over a rare pint of sahti style farmhouse ale. While you are savoring the ale, Mika and Jereme talk what makes these kinds of ancient yet alive Nordic farmhouse beer traditions so special.
Seattle: What the Vikings Drank
Thursday, August 1, 2019, at 6:30–7:30 PM
Skål Beer Hall, Seattle, Washington
Learn about what the Vikings drank while enjoying beer and mead Viking style at the Skål Beer Hall!
Join Mika Laitinen, author of Viking Age Brew, and Jereme Zimmerman, author of Make Mead Like a Viking and Brew Beer Like a Yeti as they discuss their research into what the Vikings drank. The authors will discuss what they have learned about the ales and meads Viking-era people made and drank, as well as their attempts at recreating these drinks at home. Zimmerman and Laitinen are possibly a bit too full of Viking and Nordic lore and are happy to entertain your questions about Viking life, Norse stories, and the food and drink the Vikings would have enjoyed.
Turku Medieval Market: Brewing Demonstrations and Talks
June 27–30, 2019
Medieval Market (work exhibition area, Porthan park), Turku, Finland
At Turku Medieval Market I’ll join the Vikings of Olu Bryki Raum Brewery to demonstrate ancient brewing techniques with wooden brewing gear and wood-fired cauldrons. Each day the brewing can be followed for the whole market time: 12–20 Thu-Fri, and 12–18 on Sat-Sun. I’ll be at the Market on Friday and Saturday. Thursday is devoted to sahti with stone-boiled mash, and on Friday the brew is Karelian-Baltic taari from malt bread. On Saturday the cauldron is fired for medieval gruit ale and on Sunday for sahti. Ancient ales of Olu Bryki Raum sold on site!
I’m also giving two talks at the brewery (unfortunately in Finnish):
- Friday June 28 at 15:15: What the Vikings Drank at Their Feasts?
- Saturday June 29 at 13:30: What Sahti Reveals about Viking Age and Medieval Brews?
The other speakers during the festiva include beer history expert r Jouko Ylijoki (on ancient brewing on Thursday and Sunday) and wild herb specialist Satu Hovi (on medieval herbs on Saturday). For details check the Facebook event and the Medieval Market program.